Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Stoves

When I started looking at stoves I knew what I wanted. I have used several different types of backpacking stoves, and have never really been happy with what I had. I started with a cheap butane stove, this worked but it had no wind screen and did not produce the energy needed to cook well with. Latter I upgraded to another butane stove. Wile this one worked better, the efficiency was the same, poor. The compressed bottles are not reusable and do not last long. Every time you need more fuel you have you buy a new canister. Another problem I have found with butane is its performance at high altitude. The higher you get the less pressure there is in the canister, this make your performance plummet. I have not beed happy with butane when you need it the most, when the weather is cold. The efficiency of butane goes down the colder it gets. combined this with high altitude and you have yourself a virtually useless stove. I have always used white gas. although the fuel may be heavier I think you get an all around better product. I own a Primus Omni Fuel and have field tested a MSR XGK EX stove and I must say I have fallen in love with them both. The power that both these stoves is seen in operation. Unfortunately it is heard as well but the aren't the loudest stoves on the mark either so I figured its a good compromise.
I have

No comments:

Post a Comment