Saturday, November 7, 2009

realization

I have been hit today. Not by a physical object, but a realization.

Over this weekend I traveled with the Lynden Christian Cross Country team to state. We have done this as a team for the last three years. Things went as expected, we started warming up and made our way to the start line. Before the gun went off the team strided up the hill at the start, just as we have done in years passed, only this time it was our turn. Every year before the state race the seniors share a word of encouragement to each other at the top of the hill.

Latter the gun was raised and fired. The race, my last race, was on. At the finish line I was greeted by the socking realization. This was it, I'm done, no more, final. The team that I have gotten so comfortable with is now missing four people. I would not trade first place for three of these people. Zach Crenshaw, Chris VandenBos, and Lauren Visser.

No comments:

Post a Comment