Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Are we born to explore?

As a people exploration has been the root of our very intelligence. Just think if no exploration of any kind never occurred. The fact is if we do not explore we do not learn. Is it possible for us as a people not to explore? We seem to be driven to discover new things every day.
Some may say that exploration is dangerous. I would agree that there is risk involved in exploration. But even the the people that try to stay away from risk will find themselves exploring. Exploring how to stay away from risk.
I call myself an explorer, I make a plan for the sole purpose of finding something new. Even if I don't find what I'm looking for, I find something that I have never seen or heard before.
When in the hills I am always looking to the next ridge or peak. I will take a trail to a place where hundreds have been before me; if I have the chance to be in a place that no one has never set foot, I take it without a doubt. To be in a place that few eyes have seen, to make your own trail through the thick underbrush, that is my idea of true exploration.
In the rafters of a auditorium, I have the ability to explore my creative side. Every one of my light designs comes from exploring what many would deem "too much" I am always walking the line of over the top and just enough. Finding new ways to direct a beam of light or create a shadow that will shock the audience is a thrill.
The most exploration that I do is in my photography. When I look through the lens I will try every angle and then some. If I took shots strait on all the time there would be no interest with in the image.
These are ways that I find myself exploring, taking the risk to find something different. I can't help but to explore, I would know what to do if I lost the ability to explore. I was recently asked why we shouldn't explore; I have no answer for this. There are certainly limits to what we should explore. If you take our social lives; a persons personal life or relationships should be left to that person. If you take scientific study; rights and respect can be violated. If you take geological exploration, this to must be done with respect. I cannot give to a reason why we should not explore anything to some degree.

No comments:

Post a Comment