Sunday, December 20, 2009

My Break

Yesterday wile at work the unexpected landed on top of me. I was working with another guy moving materials from one story of the building to ground level. We were moving OSB chipboard at the time of the accident. I was guiding the 900 pounds of panels while the other guy ran the hydraulics lowering the panels. Then suddenly the panels slipped past the threshold of the support brace. This put the full weight of the panels on me. For a few seconds I was able to braces the load and kept it from going off center. Unfortunately the concrete slab that I was standing on was slippery, the weight of the panels pushed me backwards. There was no way of stopping this, I knew that those panels were coming down on me. The next thing I know the hydraulics guy is yelling at me to lookout; but there was nowhere for me to go. The panels came down, hit me in the head and sent me to the ground; my arm got pinned between a support brace and the panels. How I was able to get myself out from under the panels after I was pinned I will never know. I remember feeling my arm break and I remember pulling it from between the support brace and the panels, its amazing what your body will do when it is pumped full of adrenaline. By the grace of God I got myself out of there!
I looked at my arm seeing that it did indeed look like a rubber hose with a kink in it. The guy running the hydraulics came over looked at my arm and said “we are going to the doctor for that one” to which I responded simply “yep!” We got in my truck and headed to the emergency room. Once I was admitted to a room I was visited by several ER techs that began hooking me up to equipment. Now my future career may include some of the work, so I volunteered to help these guys hook me up. So here I am hooking myself up to the diagnostic equipment as the doctor walks in. Impressed of how alert I was for having a broken limb and jacked up on drugs; he allowed me to help him remove a blood clot that had formed below the break…. Yes I got to use a needle on myself in the ER!
Needless to say this was a pretty cool experience, not one that I would want everyday but in a sick way enjoyable to be able to work on myself. Now I must face the reality of life as it is now. Just typing this post has taken twice as long then it normally would. But I will learn how to live one limb short for awhile and live life as it comes!


1 comment: